Iain Alan Sutherland Glen or popularly known as Iain Glen was born on June 24, 1961, in Edinburg, Scotland. He got his education at the Edinburgh Academy, an independent school for boys followed by which he got enrolled in the University of Aberdeen. After that, he got trained in acting at the RADA in London where he also won the Bancroft Gold Medal.
In the year 1986, Iain made his acting debut on Television with the show, Taggart followed by another show which ran for three years. The TV show was Screen Two in which he was seen in the three episodes.
Following this in 1988, he made his feature film debut with Paris by Night followed by which in the same year, he worked in the film, Gorillas in the Mist,
Next in the year 1990, he worked in four films including Mountains of the Moon, Silent Scream, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, and Fools of Fortune. He also won the Silver Bear for Best Actor at the 40th Berlin International Film Festival for his performance in the Silent Scream. Apart from that, he also won the Golden Lion Award at the Venice Film Festival following which he was nominated for an Olivier Award for his performance in The Blue Room.
Next in 2008, Glen was Samson in the BBC Radio 3 production of Samson Agonistes. However, it was in the year 2009, when Glen starred in the hit HBO series, Game of Thrones. He was also seen in shows like Death of a Salesman, Painted Lady, Wives and Daughters, The Wyvern Mystery, City of Vice, Into the Storm, Doctor Who, etc. Some of his films include The Young Americans, Paranoid, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, The Soul Keeper, Song for a Raggy Boy, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Kingdom of Heaven, Resident Evil: Extinction, and many others.
|Known for||Game of Thrones (2011–2019), |
Resident Evil film series (2004–2016)
|Date of Birth||June 24, 1961|
|Age||60 years old (in 2022)|
|Birth Place||Edinburgh, United Kingdom|
|Hometown||Edinburgh, United Kingdom|
|School||The Edinburgh Academy|
|Collage||University of Aberdeen|
Royal Academy of Dramatic Art
Film Debut: Paris by Night (1988)
TV Show: Wives and Daughters (1999)
Iain Glen Career
- In the year 1986, Iain started his acting career with a stage play which was a Renaissance period play by Christopher Marlowe. In the very same year, he made his debut on television with the detective series, Taggart followed which he was seen in three episodes of ‘Screen Two’.
- Next in 1988, he was seen in the lead role of the ‘ITV’ drama, ‘The Fear’.
- In the year 1990, he made his big-screen debut with the film, Mountains of the Moon’. The film was based on the journey of real-life explorers Richard Francis Burton and John Hanning Speke to Central Africa which led to the discovery of the Nile’s source.
- In the same year, he was seen in the award-winning film, Silent Scream which earned him many awards.
- He was also seen playing the role of ‘Hamlet’ in the comedy-drama film, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.
- His next acclaimed project was the 1995 revival of Shakespeare’s play ‘Henry V’.
- In the 2003 Japanese film ‘Spy Sorge’, Iain was seen playing the lead role of Richard Sorge.
- In 2009, Iain bagged a major role in the ‘BBC’ miniseries ‘The Diary of Anne Frank.’
- His breakthrough came in 2011 when he began working in the fantasy drama ‘Game of Thrones’ where he was seen in the character of ‘Jorah Mormont’ in the series.
- He also delivered a phenomenal performance in the British historical period drama series set ‘Downton Abbey.’
- In the same year, Iain worked in the biopic ‘The Iron Lady’.
- Following this, he played several recurring roles in a number of TV series.
- He also co-produced the 2013 TV movies Jack Taylor: Priest’ and ‘Jack Taylor: The Dramatist.’
Iain Glen Family
|Father Name||Name Not Known|
|Mother Name||Name Not Known|
Iain Glen Relationship / Marital Status & Many More
|Affairs / Girlfriend||Susannah Harker (m. 1993; div. 2004)|
Charlotte Emmerson (m. 2017)
|Wife/ Spouse||Charlotte Emmerson (m. 2017)|
Son(s): Finlay Glen
Daughter(s): Juliet Glen,
Daughter – Mary Glen
Iain Glen Physical Stats
|Height||In Centimeter – 165 cm|
In Meter – 1.65 m
In feet & inches – 5’5
|Weight||In Kilogram- 54 Kg|
In Pounds – 119lbs
Iain Glen Favorite
|Favorite Cuisine||Italian Food|
|Favorite Color||White, Black|
|Favorite Sport||Basketball, Scoor|
|Favorite Destination||Paris, New York|
Iain Glen Education
|School||The Edinburgh Academy|
|Collage||Royal Academy of Dramatic Art|
University of Aberdeen
Iain Glen’s Net Worth
|Net Worth||USD $ 22 Million Doller|
Some Unknown facts about Iain Glen
- Not many know that he is a gifted musician.
- Iain comes from a family of actors as his brother Hamish was immensely engaged with the entertainment industry.
- Iain never had plans to become an actor until he was in the university.
- After Christian Bale, Iain is the second non-American to play the role of Batman in a major film.
- The actor is said to be addicted to cycling and loves doing it a lot.
- In the Television drama series Fortune’s Fool, Iain Glen character was replaced by Willian Houston so he could recoup from sickness.
- Apart from films and TV series, Iain has also worked in many stage plays.