During the Tamil month of Vaikasi (mid-may and mid-june). Vaikasi Visakam is observed as the birthday of Lord Subramanya or Lord Muruga.Visakam is considered to be the birth star of Lord Muruga and so he is also known by the name Visakam. Lord Muruga is the son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati and he is the God of power and strength. When the time of Purnima or full moon day devotees carry out milk in all the Temples of Subramanya and Lord Murugan to performed the Abhishekam of Goddess.
Vaikasi Visakam falls in the month of May-June. This festival is celebrated during the time of Visakam Nakshatra. In the Tamil calendar Vaikasi is the 2nd solar month and Visakam is the 16th star out of twenty-seven stars. Vaikasi month is Known as Vrishabha month and Visakam Nakshatra is known as Vishakha Nakshatra which operate at least once in every month.
This festival is mainly celebrated by the tamilians in all over the world. Lord Murugan is the son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. He is the God of courage and wealth. Lord Muruga is the younger son of Lord Shiva and he is the brother of Lord Ganesha. The birth anniversary of Lord Murugan is mainly celebrated by the tamilians. There are so many names of Lord Murugan like Lord Shanmugam, Lord Kumaran, Lord Senthil, Lord Subramanyam. Lord Murugan have six faces therefore Lord Murugan can see in East, West, North, South, Heaven and Patala at the same time. Due to his six faces he is also known as Lord Arumugam.
Rituals During Vaikasi Visakam :-
- Lord Muruga is the god of purest and highest knowledge and power.
- On this day praying to him will relieve one of past misdeed and grant purification.
- On this day Lord Muruga expressed to destroy the dark forces.
- On this day Lord Murugan establish Dharma and grant supreme protection and sobering.
- On the day of Vaikasi Visakam many Muruga temples hold the 10 day Brahmotsavam event.
- At home, we can prepare sweet pongal as food offering to Muruga and recite Subramanya Bhujangam of Adi Sankara, Thirupughazh of Saint Arunagirinathar and other hymns in praise of him.
- Devotees carry out milk for the Abhishekam of Lord Murugan.
- During this day special Pooja, homa, aarti, and Abhishekam are done to Lord Muruga to seek his blessings.
- On this day the Divine wedding of Lord Muruga to Valli is conducted in many temples.
- It is very auspicious event to conduct or see wedding as all the problems related to marriage will be solved.
- Visit to Lord Murugan temple on this day would confer immeasurable merit and earn the grace of the Topmost Lord.
Significance of Vaikasi Visakam :-
- Lord Muruga can be invoked by reciting the six syllable fire mantra – SA RA VA NA BA VA.
- Chanting this mantra protects us from all evil and grants good merit.
- Saint Arunagirinathar says we should wear this in mind and meditate on his beautiful form to be blessed by his grace.
- Lord Muruga was incarnated to destroy the demons Surapadma, tarakasura, and Singamugha. They were causing misery to the gods and Gods approached Lord Shiva for help.
- The saint says that he is the infinite reality residing in the cavern of our heart as Guhan, who will protect us and lead us in the path of sobering and light.
- He is the God of all knowledge and imparted the meaning of the basic cosmic word OM to his father, Lord Shiva.
- The statement of Shanmugam is the ever fasting treatment of victory, of truth over falsehood of Dharma over Adharma.
- Those who fight against adharmic forces within or around themselves are said to be the Faithful warriors(yoddha) of Muruga.
- Lord Muruga is the Lord of kundalini and guides his devotees to attain perfection in life.
Vaikasi Visakam Dates between 2018 and 2030
|Year||Date||Day||Visakam Nakshatram starts Muhurtham||Visakam Nakshatram Ends Muhurtham|
|2018||28th of May||Monday||21:38 on 27- may||23:04 on 28 – may|
|2019||18th of May||Saturday||03:08 on 18 – may||02:22 on 19 – may|
|2020||4th of June||Thursday||20:43 on 03 – June||18:36 on 04 – June|
|2021||25th of May||Tuesday||07:05 on 25 – may||04:11 on 26 – may|
|2022||12th of June||Sunday||02:05 on 12 – June||23:58 on 12 – June|
|2023||3rd of June||Saturday||06:52 on 02 – June||06:15 on 03 – June|
|2024||23rd of June||Thursday||07:46 on 22 – may||09:14 on 23 – may|
|2025||9th of June||Monday||12:41 on 08 – June||15:30 on 09 – June|
|2026||30th of May||Saturday||10:37 on 29 – may||13:20 on 30 – may|
|2027||20th of May||Thursday||12:18 on 19 – may||13:20 on 20 – may|
|2028||5th of June||Monday||01:44 on 05 – June||00:59 on 06 – June|
|2029||27th of May||Sunday||11:41 on 26 – may||09:12 on 27 – may|
|2030||13th of June||Thursday||07:42 on 13 – June||05:05 on 14 – June|