Yajurveda Avani Avittam or Yajur vedi Upakarma is observed by Yajurvedi Brahmins. On the full moon day those who follow Yajurveda execute the Upakarma on Shravana Nakshatra day in the month of Shravana. Upakarma which is a Vedic ritual is still practiced by Hindus of Brahmin community. Avani Avittam means start up or Arambham. On Upakarma day learning Vedas. Those who do their first Avani Avittam, it is known as Thalai Avani Avittam.
In Tamil Nadu Upakarma is Known as Avani Avittam and In Andhra Pradesh, during Shravana Purnima Upakarma is Kno as Jandhyala Purnima.
The day of Shravana Purnima Brahmins select this day for begin the study of Vedas and the day coincide with Hayagriva Jayanthi. The birth anniversary of Lord Hayagriva is Known as Hayagriva Jayanthi who is considered the personation of Lord Vishnu.
Introduction of Avani Avittam :-
“Avani” means the Tamil mouth and “Avittam” stands for the 27 Nakshatra.The day marks one of the most auspicious events for the Brahmin community and it signifies the beginning of the study of Vedas. The next day of Avani Avittam or Upakarma that is known as Gayatri Japam.
This festival is mainly celebrated by the people of Brahmin community. It is a ritual that is followed by the Brahmins and it is a Vedic ritual. The festival falls on the full moon day of the Tamil month of Avani. On the day of Avani Avittam Brahmin take a dip in a holy bath, Ponds, Rivers and change their sacred thread.
Members of the Brahmin caste celebrated Avani Avittam by performing various rituals. On this day Brahmin chanting the Gayatri Mantra for 1008 times to achieve their goal of transcendence. Traditionally, Brahmins were known as the men of knowledge. On the full moon day of Shravana (August) which is also the day of the Rakhi Purnima.This day is celebrated as Nariyal Purnima in the west and Kajri Purnima in the North. On this day every year Brahmin change their sacred thread.
On the day of Avani Avittam it is believed that the God of Trinity Lord Vishnu, incarnation of Lord Hayagriva, the God of knowledge. On this day the Lord had restored the Vedas to Brahma. The fact that so many ritual are held on the same day of Avani Avittam and yet they also give the same message. The dates for Avani Avittam change accordingly to the holy calendar and as per the Panchangam.
Significance of Avani Avittam :-
- This day is of great significance.
- This is very important ritual of the Brahmin community.
- This ritual is also known as Upakarma.
- It signifies the beginning of the study of the Vedas.
- The holy day of Avani Avittam or Upakarma lads will be bestowed with a sacred thread which signifies the third eye for Brahmins (eye of wisdom, to be precise.
- On the states of Orissa and Maharashtra the day of Avani Avittam is celebrated as Janeyu Purnima.
Rituals of Avani Avittam :-
- Avani Avittam is one of the most important day for the Brahmin community.
- On the day of Avani Avittam or Upakarma, the male members of the Brahmins family change their sacred thread.
- They change their sacred thread on the banks of rivers or Ponds or in the temples.
- Some people celebrated this festival at their home.
- On this day take a sacred dip in a holy rivers or Ponds and wear the new sacred thread.
- The new sacred thread called Yajnopavit or the Poonool.
- The prayers is offered for washing away all sins and gaining the Divine blessings.
- When Brahmin take a new sacred thread then that time they chanting a mantra signifying the purity of the sacred thread.
- This thread is a tool to prolong life and this holy thread shall also impart strength and dignity.
- During the day of Avani Avittam Homas (free labs) are performed.
- On the day of Avani Avittam Brahmins offer Tarpanam to their ancestors to knowledge and Vedas.
Benefits of observing Avani Avittam :-
- On the day of Avani Avittam Brahmins offering Tarpanam for the ancient seers on this day a way to show respect.
- On this day Brahmin take a new sacred thread then that time they chanting mantra.
- It is believed that this thread is a tool to prolong life.
- During the day of Avani Avittam chanting the Gayatri Mantra 1008 times (a mantra dedicated to the sun deity).
- On this day chanting of Mantra can wash off your old sins and purify your mind.
Avani Avittam *Yajurveda Dates between 2018 and 2025 :-