Richard Powers is an American novelist whose works ezplore the effects of modern science and technology. He is best known for his National Book Award Winning Novel, The Echo Maker. His other literary works include Plowing the Dark and The Time of Our Singing. Richard was born on 18th June 1957 in Evanston, Illinois, Richard Powers is one of the best award winning american author of twelve novels, His most recent novels are “The Oversory” which has won the 2019 piliPulitzer Prize for Fiction and was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize. He and Karen Tei Yamashita were both finalists for the National Book Award. He entered the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as a physics major, but graduated as an English major.
|Age||62 Years old|
|Birth Date||18 June 1957|
Richard Powers Early Age
Richard Power is one of the five children, to his parents Richard was born on 18th June 1957 in Evanston, Illinois. His family afterwards moved to few miles west to Lincolnwood where his father was a local school principal. When he was seven year old his family moved to Bangkok, Thailand, when his father accepted a position at a interational school in Bangkok, Afterwards Richard Power attented thatb shcool until his higher school, He considered his time in Thailand “eye-opening,” and indulged in many intellectual pursuits. During that time outside the U.S. he developed skill in vocal music and proficiency in cello, guitar, saxophone, and clarinet. He also became an avid reader, enjoying nonfiction, primarily, and classics such as the Iliad and the Odyssey. When his family returned to US in 1972, Power fineshed his studies at DeKalb High School in DeKalb, Illinois, and then matriculated at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He originally chose physics for his major but switched it to English, earning both a B.A. and an M.A. in the subject. As his studies completed he started to work in a company as a computer programmer in Boston for a time. A visit to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts revealed to him a 1914 photograph, “Young Farmers” by August Sander, that would inspire him to write his first novel, Three Farmers on their Way to a Dance. It was published in 1985 and quickly became a critical success.
Afterwards he moved ti Neatherland to avoid the publicity resulting from the books and their he worked on Prisoner’s Dilemma and The Gold Bug Variations. He then embarked on a year-long stay in Cambridge, writing Operation Wandering Soul. In 1992 he returned to the United States and took a writer-in-residence position at the University of Illinois.
Richard Powers Physical Stats
|Height||In Centimeter – 165 cm|
In Meter – 1.65 m
In feet & inches – 5’5
|Weight||In Kilogram- 54 Kg|
In Pounds – 119lbs
Richard Powers Education
When Richard Power returned to US wiht his family, he completed his education in 1975 from DeKalb High School in DeKalb, Illinois, he enrolled at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) with a major in physics, which he switched to English literature during his first semester. There he earned the BA in 1978 and the MA in Literature in 1980.
He decided not to pursue the PhD partly because of his aversion to strict specialization, which had been one reason for his early transfer from physics to English, and partly because he had observed in graduate students and their professors a lack of pleasure in reading and writing.
Richard Powers Net Worth
Richard Powers is an famous American novelist and his most of the incomes comes from the novels he writes and books he sells. Richard is listed on Richest Novelist and as per the latest informations Richard Powers has approximately $ 1.5 Milllion
|Net Worth||$ 1.5 Million|
|Sources of Wealth||Novels|
Richard Powers Relationship
Richard Powers keeps his commercial and love life asides, A year and a half ago Richard Powers has married Jane kuntz a professor of french, Read the article for more deatils…
Richard Powers Awards and recognition
- 1985 Rosenthal Award of American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters
- 1985 PEN/Hemingway Special Citation
- 1989 MacArthur Fellowship
- 1991 Time Book of the Year
- 1993 Finalist, National Book Award
- 1996 Swanlund Professorship, University of Illinois
- 1998 Business Week Best Business Books of 1998
- 1998 Elected Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 1999 James Fenimore Cooper Prize, American Society of Historians
- 1999 Lannan Literary Award
- 2000 Vursell Award, American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters
- 2000 Elected Fellow, Center for Advanced Study, University of Illinois
- 2001 Corrington Award for Literary Excellence, Centenary College
- 2001 Author of the Year, Illinois Association of Teachers of English
- 2003 Pushcart Prize
- 2003 Dos Passos Prize For Literature, Longwood University
- 2003 W. H. Smith Literary Award (Great Britain)
- 2004 Ambassador Book Award
- 2006 National Book Award for Fiction
- New York Times Notable Book, 2003, 2000, 1998, 1995, 1991
- Best Books of 2003: Chicago Tribune, Christian Science Monitor, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Newsday, London Evening Standard, Time Out (London), San Jose Mercury News
- Finalist, National Book Critics Circle Award, 2003, 1995, 1991, 1985
- Finalist, Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, 2006
- 2010 Elected Member, American Academy of Arts and Letters
- 2014 Man Booker Prize (longlist)
- 2014 California Book Awards Silver Medal Fiction winner for Orfeo
- 2018 Man Booker Prize (shortlist)
- 2019 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction
- 2019 PEN Oakland Josephine Miles Literary Award for The Overstory
- 2020 William Dean Howells Medal for The Overstory
Richard Powers Bibliography
- 1985 Three Farmers on Their Way to a Dance, HarperCollins
- 1988 Prisoner’s Dilemma, McGraw Hill
- 1991 The Gold Bug Variations, HarperCollins
- 1993 Operation Wandering Soul, HarperCollins
- 1995 Galatea 2.2, Farrar Straus & Giroux
- 1998 Gain, Farrar Straus & Giroux
- 2000 Plowing the Dark, Farrar, Straus & Giroux
- 2003 The Time of Our Singing, Farrar, Straus & Giroux
- 2006 The Echo Maker, Farrar, Straus & Giroux
- 2009 Generosity: An Enhancement, Farrar, Straus & Giroux
- 2014 Orfeo, W. W. Norton & Company
- 2018 The Overstory, W. W. Norton & Company
- 2021 Bewilderment
Richard Powers Inspirational & Motivational Quotes
- I really like science because it seems to be that place where you get the big picture, everything connects. – Richard Powers
- I think that if the novel’s task is to describe where we find ourselves and how we live now, the novelist must take a good, hard look at the most central facts of contemporary life – technology and science. – Richard Powers
- I like to travel and connect. – Richard Powers
- My goal for technology has always been to reach a point where the technological mediation becomes invisible. – Richard Powers
- I write the way you might arrange flowers. Not every try works, but each one launches another. Every constraint, even dullness, frees up a new design. – Richard Powers
- A book is still atemporal. It is you, in silence, hearing voices in your head, unfolding at a time that has nothing to do with the timescale of reading. And for the hours that we retreat into this moratorium, with the last form of private and silent human activity that isn’t considered pathological, we are outside of time. – Richard Powers
- Science is not about control. It is about cultivating a perpetual condition of wonder in the face of something that forever grows one step richer and subtler than our latest theory about it. It is about reverence, not mastery. – Richard Powers
- The desire to live in our imagination is driven by this suspicion that we’re disembodied sensibilities cobbled into our bodies. That idea has infused most of human thought since the very beginning. – Richard Powers
- This idea that a book can either be about character and feeling, or about politics and idea, is just a false binary. Ideas are an expression of the feelings and the intense emotions we hold about the world. – Richard Powers
- Only white men have the luxury of ignoring race. – Richard Powers
- My dream has always been to suspend myself in space when I write, and lying horizontal in bed is the closest to doing that. – Richard Powers
Some facts about Richard Powers
- Richard Powers’s age 62 years old.
- Birthday June 18, 1957.
- Birth Sign Gemini.
- August Sander’s 1914 photograph, “Young Farmers,” inspired Powers to quit his job and become a writer. He published his debut novel, Three Farmers on Their Way to a Dance, in 1985.
- Who is Richard Powers Wife ?
- Richard Powers is married to Jane Kuntz.
- Is Richard Powers Married ?
- Yes Richard Powers is married.
- Richard Powers Novels ?
- She is married.
- What is Richard Powers education status ?
- Richard Powers completed his education in 1975 from DeKalb High School in DeKalb, Illinois, he enrolled at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) with a major in physics, which he switched to English literature during his first semester. There
- What is Richard Powers height?
- Richard Powers height is 1.65 in meter.
- What is Richard Powers eye color ?
- Her eye color is Black