For Hindus Vaikuntha Ekadashi is a important and auspicious festival. It provide liberation from the circle of birth and death. It comes about in Tamil calendar, in the month of margashirsha ,(between December and January). Vaikuntha Ekadashi is devoted to Lord Vishnu. In the southern states it is Known as by the name of “Mukkoti Ekadashi” and it is celebrated in the month of “Margazhi” according to the Tamil calendar.
About Vaikuntha Ekadashi :-
During the day of Vaikuntha Ekadashi it is observed with all depth in the Temples of Lord Vishnu’s devotees as it is believed that “Vaikuntha Dwaram” to Lord Vishnu’s abode opens up on Vaikuntha Ekadashi day. In the month of paush Vaikuntha Ekadashi falls on the eleventh day of the Shukla paksha. On this day believed that a person who keeps a virtuous fast on Vaikuntha Ekadashi will access to ‘Vaikuntha’ without facing the God of death “Yama Raja”. Devotees observe Vaikuntha Ekadashi with passion and devotion.
During the “Sagara Manthana” when nectar had comes out of the ocean of milk and was distributed among all the Gods. On this day devotees believed that those who die on this day are freed from the encircle of birth and death and reach Vaikuntha,the abode of Lord Vishnu. Devotees consider this day is very auspicious. It is for this reason that the Lord Bheesham waited on his to leave his last breath. Therefore it is also known as Bheesham Ekadashi.
According to the Padma Purana, the female energy of Lord Vishnu killed the demand Muran to protect the Devtas. Impressed by the act, Lord Vishnu named her as ‘Ekadashi’ and gave her the boon that those who deserves this day would reach ‘Vaikuntha’.
Rituals during Vaikuntha Ekadashi :
- During the day of Vaikuntha Ekadashi, devotees keep a strict fast and they do not eat or drink anything throughout all the day.
- The person who desires to keep the Vaikuntha Ekadashi fast should only eat once on ‘dashami’ (10th day). Complete fasting is observed on Ekadashi.
- Devotees, who are not capable to fast completely, can even eat fruits and milk. Eating rice and grains is not allowed on any Ekadashi, for everyone.
- Special prayers are offered in the temple of Lord Vishnu and the observer of this vrat is engaged in ‘japa’ (chanting Vishnu’s name). and ‘Dhyana’ (meditation).
- On this night of Vaikuntha Ekadashi, devotees stay awake and spend time listening stories and singing bhajans in praise of Lord Vishnu.
- On the day of Vaikuntha Ekadashi it is believed that the ‘Gates of Heaven’ are opened, devotees on large number visit Lord Vishnu temples in evening.
- The region encircling the temple is Known as ‘Vaikuntha Vaasal’ and Lord Vishnu followers throng to enter this area and seek Lord Vishnu.
Important Timing On Vaikuntha Ekadashi
|Sunrise||December 25, 2020 7:09AM|
|Sunset||December 25, 2020 5:44PM|
|Dwadashi End Moment||December 27, 2020 4:18AM|
|Ekadashi Tithi Begins||December 24, 2020 11:17PM|
|Ekadashi Tithi Ends||December 26, 2020 1:54AM|
|Hari Vasara End Moment||December 26, 2020 8:30AM|
|Parana Time||December 26, 8:30 AM -December 26, 9:17 AM|