Mohanlal Viswanathan is an Indian Film Actor, Producer, Playback Singer, Distributor and philanthropist who predominantly works in Malayalam cinema besides also appeared in Tamil and Telugu language films. Mohanlal Vishwanathan Nair was born on 21 May 1960, at Pathanamthitta in Kerala. Superstar Mohanlal is an iconic Actor, one of the most admired Indian actors, he has acted in more than 340 films. He is regarded as one of the greatest actors in the history of Indian cinema. In addition to Malayalam, he has also appeared in other Indian languages films. His impressive acting performances have earned him the titles, ‘The Complete Actor’ and ‘The Universal Star’.
Personal Life :-
|Real Name||Mohanlal Vishwanathan Nair|
|Nickname||Lalettan, Laalu, Universal Star, The Complete Actor|
|Date of birth||21 May 1960|
|Birth place||Elanthoor, Pathanamthitta, Kerala, India|
|Age (as in 2021)||61 Years|
|Profession||Actor, Producer, Singer|
|Hometown||Kochi, Kerala, India|
|Hobbies||Collecting antiques & artifacts|
|Years active||1978- present|
Physical State :-
|Height||In centimetres – 172 cmIn meters – 1.72 mIn feet inches – 5’7″|
|Weight||In kilograms – 82 kgIn pounds – 181 Ibs|
Money Factor :-
|Salary||2 to 3 Crore/ Film (INR)|
|Net worth||Not known|
Favourite Things :-
|Favourite Actor||Kamal Haasan|
|Favourite Film||Unnaipop Oruvan (Tamil, 2009)|
Relationship and More :-
|Marriage date||28 April 1988|
|Children||Daughter – VismayaSon – Pranav|
Family Background –
Mohanlal Vishwanathan was born in the village of Elanthoor in the Pathanamthitta district in Kerala. His father Viswanathan Nair, a farmer bureaucrat, was the law secretary of Kerala and His mother Santhakumari, a housewife. He is the youngest child of Viswanathan and Santhakumari. He had an elder brother named Pyarelal (died in 2000, during a military exercise), Mohanlal grew up in Mudavanmugal at his paternal home in Thiruvananthapuram.
|Brother||Elder – Pyare Lal (died in 2000)|
About His Education –
He studied at Government Model Boys Higher Secondary School, Thiruvananthapuram and graduated with a Bachelor of Commerce degree from Mahatma Gandhi College, Thiruvananthapuram.
Educational Qualification :-
|School||Kerala Model School, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.|
|College||Mahatma Gandhi College, Thiruvananthapuram, India|
|Qualification||Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com)|
Personal Life –
Mohanlal married Suchithra, daughter of the Tamil Film producer K. Balaji, on 28 April 1988. The couple has two children – Pranav Mohanlal and Vismaya Mohanlal. Pranav has acted in a few films, debuting in Mohanlal’s Onnaman (2001). Mohanlal is a self described foodie. He also enjoys melodious music. Mohanlal is a strong believer on destiny and spirituality. He describes himself as a religious and spiritual person, and likes to read Osha, J. Krishnamurti, Aurobindo and Ramana Maharshi. He has often stated that the turn of events in his life, including his film career, was accidental.
Interestingly, his career began with playing negative roles, before he rose to stardom. The versatile actor has been equally proficient in comedy and serious roles. He has proved himself to be a highly successful businessman, film distributor, producer, singer, martial artist, wrestler, theatre artist, and is even an honorary Lt. Colonel in the Indian Army. He has been granted several prestigious honors including National Film Awards, Kerala State Film Awards, Filmfare Awards, and a Padma Shri from Government of India.
Theatre Career :-
Mohanlal enjoys the melodramatic live acting in theatre. His roles include that of Karna in Karnavaaram, Kadhyattam, Chhayamukhi, and The Tempest. He has also lent his voice in the dance ballet Maya Ravan.
Movie Career :-
Mohanlal made his acting debut at the age 18 in the Malayalam film Thiranotham in 1978, but the film was delayed in its release for 25 years due to censorship issues. His screen debut was in the 1980 romance film Manjil Virinja Pookkal, in which he played the role of Villain. He did over 25 films, mostly as a villain. His first positive role was also in the first 70 mm film of Malayali Cinema, Padayottam, in 1982. His first successful role as a hero was in the film Ivide Thadangunnu. Another of his cult films from this time was the 1984 comedy movie Poochakkoru Mookkuthi with director friend Priyadarshan. Since then, the duo has delivered over 25 superhit movies.
He started a career as a playback Singer in 1985, for the Film Onnanam Kunnil Oradi Kunnil. The Versatile actor also started his production house Casino films in 1984. In 1980, he was a part of a whopping 34 films. His role in comedy drama T.P Balagopalan M.A earned him the distinction of the youngest actor to receive the Kerala State Film Award for Best Actor. His roles in crime dramas Rajavinte Makan (1986) and Irupatham Noottandu (1987) cemented his status as one of the industry’s top performers. The tragicomedy Chitram (1988), as of 2015, still holds the record for the longest-running film in a single-screen theatre (58 weeks). His role in Kireedam (1989) earned him a special jury mention at the National Awards.
The debut film of his own production company, His Highness Abdullah, was critically well-received. The versatile actor won the National Film Award for his role in the movie Bharat ham (1991 release). In 1997, his spiritual fantasy film Guru became the first Malayalam movie to be chosen as India’s official entry to the Oscars in the Best foreign language film category. Mohanlal then performed the challenging role of a Kathakali artist in the Indo-French film Vanaprastham which was screened at Cannes in 1999. His depiction of a rogue character in the 2000 film Narasimham was appreciated and the movie went on to became a Mega blockbuster hit.
Mohanlal ventured into Bollywood for the first time with Ram Gopal Varma’s Company. His south indian accent in the role of a Mumbai police officer was very well received by Hindi movie fans and he even won the Best Supporting Actor Award at IIFA. The talented Malayali actor kept experimentally with diverse roles in movies like the 2005 release Thanmathra, Kirtichakra (2006), Hallo (2007), and the Flick Casanovva (2012). In 2009, the Tamil movie Unnaipol Oryvan saw Mohanlal share screen space with another superstar- Kamal Haasan. The year 2013 was a successful one for Mohanlal with many of his films doing well critically and commercially. The list included Lokpal, Red Wine, Geethaanjali, and Drishyam. In 2004, he starred in the Tamil action flick Jilla, alongside Vijay. The movie made the highest single day earnings for any languages film in Kerala, as in 2016.
Mohanlal has also starred in numerous hit films, including Oppam (2016), Manamantha (2016), Vismayam (2016), Janatha Garage (2016), Pulimurugan (2016), which was one of the High-grossing Malayalam films ever. His other projects include the trilingual was drama 1971: Beyond Border (2017), Villain (2017), Velipadinte Pusthakam (2017), Meetali (2018), Odiyan (2018) and Aadhi (2018). His 2019 release includes Ittymaani : Made in China, directed by Jibi- Joju.
Mohanlal is also known for his philanthropic endeavours, he founded the ViswaSanthi Foundation, a non-profit Charitable organization.
Awards and Nominations –
|National Film Awards||5||–|
|Kerala State Film Awards||9||–|
|Filmfare Awards South||9||3|
|Screen Awards South||1||–|
|South Indian International Movie Awards||4||4|
|Kerala Film Critics Awards||11||–|
|Ananda Vikatan Cinema Awards||1||–|
|All India Radio Awards||1||–|
|Asianet Film Awards||15||–|
|Vanitha Film Awards||9||–|
|Mathrubhumi Film Awards||6||–|
|Amrita Film Awards||5||–|
|Jaihind Film Awards||4||–|
|Janmabhumi Cinema Awards||2||–|
|The Kochi Times Film Awards||1||–|
|Kerala Film Audience Council Awards||4||–|
|V. Shantaram Awards||–||2|
|Ramu Kairat Awards||1||–|
Titles and Honours –
|Padma Shri||Government of India||2001|
|Honorary Lieutenant Colonel||Indian Territorial Army||2009|
|Honorary Doctorate (D.Litt)||Shree Shankracharya University of Sanskrit||2010|
|Honorary Black Belt in Taekwondo||World Taekwondo Headquarters, South Korea||2013|
|Honorary Doctorate (D.Litt)||University of Calicut||2018|
|Padma Bhushan||Government of India||2019|
World records –
- Largest attendance at a 3D film screening.
- Lent his voice to the longest documentary made in the world till now.
- World’s first fans association to enter in the Guinness Book of World Records on charity making the world’s largest charity box.
Other awards and recognitions –
- 1997-1988 Kerala State Wrestling Champion.
- 2000 Mother Teresa Award.
- 2003 Honoured by Indian Medical Association.
- 2006 CNN-IBN poll- Most Popular keralite Award.
- 2007 Kerala AIDS Control Society – Goodwill Ambassador.
- 2009 Kerala State Athletics – Goodwill Ambassador.
- 2009 Limca Book of Records “People of the Year” Award.
- 2009 Sree Chithira Thirunal National Award.
- 2010 Reader’s Digest included him in the list of “100 Most Trusted Indians”.
- 2010 Thikkurissy Sukumaran Nair Memorial National Award for his contributions to Indian Cinema.
- 2010 Kerala Handloom Industry – Goodwill Ambassador.
- 2011 Deccan Chronicle Survey – Most Popular keralite.
- 2012 his film Iruvar was included in the British Film Institute Sight and Sound “1000 greatest films of all time”.
- 2013 Outlook India – “Most Influential Indian from Kerala”.
- 2013 Forbes India included his 1991 role in Bharatham as one of the “25 Greatest Acting Performances of Indian Cinema”.
- 2013 CNN-IBN survey on “100 years of Indian Cinema” – 3rd position as India’s Great Actors.
- 2015 All-Kerala Advertisers Agencies Association honoured him with the title “Brand Icon of Kerala” for his contributions to advertising world.
- 2016 Kerala organ donation programme – Goodwill Ambassador.
- 2016 Won “Manorama Newsmaker of the Year”, title given to a Keralite who has hogged the most headlines and brought a positive change in society.
- 2017 “Indian Icon 2017” Award by Friends of Bahrain.
- 2018 P. Kesavadev Diabscreen Kerala Award.
- 2019 Mazhavil Entertainment Awards – Ultimate Entertainer Actor.
- 2020 P.V Sami Memorial Industrial and Socio-cultural Award, for his contributions to Malayalam cinema for the last four decades and contributions for charity through ViswaSanthi Foundation.
- 2020 Dadasaheb Phalke Awards South- Most Versatile Actor.
- 2021 Goodwill Ambassador of Tuberculosis eradication campaign by health department of the Government of Kerala.
Some lesser known facts about Mohanlal –
- Does Mohanlal Smoke? Not known
- Does Mohanlal drink Alcohol? Not known
- He is a wrestler and a martial art expert.
- He was the Kerala State Wrestling Champion from 1977 to 1978.
- He is the only south Indian actor who got the Mother Teresa Charity Award in 2000.
- He is the son-in-law of late popular producer- K. Balaji.
- He is the highest paid actor of Malayalam film Industry.
- He has his own official blog site, and an android app as well.
- He has an ‘enviable’ collection of paintings.
- He owns many restaurants such as Mohanlal’s Tastebuds in Dubai, Travancore Court in Kochi, and The Harbour Market in Bangalore.
- He owns a house at Burj Khalifa.
- He is a big fan of Cricket.
- He is a very religious and spiritual person.
- He is an independent director of Clenergen India Private Limited.